Saturday, October 14, 2006

Random update for interested parties...

Well, to start off, I had planned on not being in town this weekend but it went the way of the lovely half saying: "the best laid plans of mice and men...". My 10-yr HS reunion was this weekend. It would have been nice to see a few people and perhaps surprise others but some things just don't work out the way we'd like.

Speaking of things we don't plan: My mother had an interesting and painful experience this week. On Tuesday, she was at a hotel for a meeting related to work. She missed a step, fell, and dislocated her left ankle as well as fracturing two of those bones in the process. They relocated her foot to where it needed to be (which eased some of her pain) and on Wednesday she had surgery that put a screw or two in her ankle along with a plate. Did I forget to mention that she had surgery for something else a little over a month ago?? She was released from the hospital today and is back home. She's doing as well as possible, should be around a month + for recovery.

The ongoing strangeness of life. Hehe. So ya... took Friday off anyway to get away from work. The past two days have been nice to relax some.

I started reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stpehenson a few weeks ago. I'm 250 pages into the book and it's not quite got to the juicy part yet. It has some interesting parts that spark life into my inner CS/Geek mind but I've not been in a mood to finish it out yet... so, I went for something a little more, shall we say, frivolous for my mind. I'm currently reading
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. The book stars his character Harry Dresden who is a detective in present day Chicago. He also happens to be a wizard. I was walking through Barnes & Noble and saw this book on an end-cap, thought it looked interesting and came back to it on another visit to B&N a few weeks later. The funny thing is that last week I'm sitting on my couch watching one of my favourite shows on Sci-Fi and I see a commercial for an apparent tv show based on the books!! LOL Not fair, I just started reading the book! Oh well, read fast, catch up, ya?

Ok, by all accounts, I have typed waaaaay too much and will leave you with this:

"Listen up dummies, the help is all gone, the house is bare, now you know a shadow lives there. There's one left to die then my job will be done. I like killing people, it's a lot of kicks!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Starrlett said...

The books sound interesting--sorry you missed your reunion, and hope your mom gets better quick and gets a lot of needed rest!

Mon Oct 16, 08:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stephen Cattaneo said...

the only neal stephenson books that are worse that cryptonomicon are the sequels to it. some one should take away this d00ds type writer

Thu Nov 09, 01:20:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home