Saturday, August 12, 2006

Catching up on the movie list

Received the movie Solaris from my Blockbuster list. I had seen maybe 2 minutes of it on SciFi a few months ago, thought it looked interesting and added it to the list. Got it in the mail, finally decided to watch it. Disc was almost cracked in half. Heh, there's little chance of watching it when it's barely holding together. Anyway, got another copy shipped to me and I just finished it. Interesting flick. Soderbergh is right, it definitely has the feel of an older science fiction movie.

It's a human interest piece; playing with the psyche. The story line isn't bad, interesting and almost prompts me to find the book it's based on. The viewing experience itself it cool. The photography and editing is really good. It's a very quiet film both in sound and feel. It's more of a thought-provoking visual thing. It's nice to watching something slightly off-beat once in a while. I'd recommend at least a one time viewing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Auntie K said...

Yes, I thought it was a visually fascinating film--lots to "chew on." I listened to Soderbergh's commentary as well, and enjoyed that. Like you, I only saw it on DVD, and wished I could have seen in the theater. Or at least watched it on a better home system than my non-system.

Thu Aug 31, 06:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Loonacy said...

ya, i would have liked a larger screen. I should have kept it longer to watch it with the commentary. I usually like to do that and see if it adds to the experience. I really liked the unusual silence and lack of speach in the film. I think I need to rent it again LOL.

Thu Aug 31, 10:25:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home